360 Virtual tour of Anglesey, North Wales.
View fullscreen 360 degree panoramas of Anglesey North Wales.
Buy Welsh fine art prints and panoramic landscape photography of Wales through our secure online shop.
This section contains 12 Panoramas.
Celtic Gateway Holyhead
The £7.5m Celtic Gateway, which is seen as a symbol of Holyhead’s regeneration, has created a dramatic new landmark linking the town centre, railway station, and ferry terminal. The Bridge was officially opened by the Welsh Assembly Government Minister Andrew Davies AM, on Thursday 19th October 2006.
Parys Mountain is one of only three sites in Wales which have evidence of copper mining during the Bronze and Roman Ages. However, its history dates back much further, to the Ordovician times. About 450 million years ago, the foundations for the mountain were laid down as mud on the ocean floor and mixed in with metal ores created by volcanic activity.
South Stack Lighthouse
South Stack Lighthouse was first envisaged in 1665 when a petition for a patent to erect the lighthouse was presented to Charles II. The patent was not granted and it was not until 9th February 1809 that the first light appeared to mark the rock. The lighthouse, erected at a cost of £12,000, was designed by Daniel Alexander and originally fitted with Argand oil lamps and reflectors. Around 1840 a railway was installed by means of which a lantern with a subsidiary light could be lowered down the cliff to sea level, when fog obscured the main light.
Today Amlwch is one of Anglesey’s larger towns and is still an industrial centre, although on a smaller scale. The prettiest part of town is the little harbour of Amlwch Port ('Porth Amlwch' in Welsh), to the northeast, formed by a narrow fissure in the rocky coast.
Until 1768 Amlwch was a tiny fishing port. However, during the Industrial Revolution, Parys Mountain, a great expanse of copper-bearing rock to the south, became the world’s biggest copper mine and Amlwch grew rapidly.
Up to 40 vessels could anchor in the port. Copper was the outward cargo and tobacco leaf filled the holds on the return voyage, for processing in the town’s factories. The harbour was enlarged to accommodate the ships used for transporting the copper and sulphur, and a shipbuilding industry grew up in Amlwch.